Monday 21 January 2013

R.I.P. Ian McKeever


R.I.P. Ian McKeever

Much has been written about Ian McKeever in recent years but never so much since his tragic death while climbing Kilimanjaro this month.  It was been some comfort to me to read about his life, his achievements and the great outpouring of love for this lovely human being I was only beginning to befriend. This is my very small contribution based on my personal experience and while insignificant in the grand scheme of things, it is I suspect, a familiar story for many who came to know Ian for the duration of their Kilimanjaro adventure. It is the sum of our experiences and the many other unique aspects of his too short life that made him so special to all of us.

After retiring in January 2012 I set about organising my time and listing priority challenges for the coming years. Reaching the summit of Kilimanjaro was up there at the top of my list. I contacted Kilimanjaro Achievers seeking information and an opportunity to speak with someone who could advise me about the practicality of an unfit 60 year old undertaking the Kilimanjaro challenge. Ian called me back within 24 hours. We had a great chat and he assured me that my age was not a barrier if I followed his fitness and nutrition programme. We chatted like old friends and when I hung up I was confident that I would succeed, such was his simple, quiet way with instilling confidence.  

Ian provided everyone with a very detailed programme addressing equipment, nutrition, fitness and medical advice. He did not stop there. He understood that the programme would have to be tweaked to meet the specific needs of each individual. He spoke with me about what I must do and those exercises I could avoid.  I first met Ian on October 28th 2012 when the December Team met for the first time and our first ‘workout’ together. From then on we had regular communication and more treks in the Wicklow Mountains. Ian was humble and never spoke about his amazing accomplishments. His focus was on you and how he could help you achieve your own personal objectives. 

Right up to the very end Ian was looking after his team. I never heard him raise his voice. He was always calm, reassuring, great fun and such good company at all times. We were all so confident we would join Ian at the summit.  When I return to Kilimanjaro later this year I will carry all my memories of Ian in my heart. 

The people he worked with in Tanzania had a deep love and respect for Ian and he in turn loved them. He also loved Kilimanjaro and had an almost spiritual bond and respect for this great mountain.  

We all feel a great sense of loss but his family and the very lovely Anna have lost more than we can imagine. I hope they can, in time, take some comfort from the expressions of love that so many people have posted in recent times.

While we all mourn his passing we must also celebrate his life, his achievements and the very positive influence and legacy he leaves behind. Ian, may you rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment